Friday, March 23, 2012

Z2: Some missing data

The second night with the Zeo was somewhat different from the first one. First of all, I learned my lesson, and this time the headband straps were fully extended. Significantly less pressure on the forehead meant it was less annoying, and presumably would leave less obvious marks.
I also went to bed much earlier - barely after midnight. I was fully awake, and essentially went to bed out of routine, and "to get a good night's sleep" of 6.5 hours. (And don't tell me I need to sleep 8 hours!)

This time there was a lot of tossing around until I managed to fall asleep. As you can see from the graph, I woke up several times during the night (the Zeo reports 7 times), and most of the time was spent in light sleep:
In numbers: total sleep time of 4:45 hours, 16 minutes to fall asleep, 51 minutes in REM, 21 minutes in deep sleep. There are also three unexplained gaps in the data, during which no signal was captured, for unspecified reasons.

The Zeo computes a "sleep score" that largely rewards REM and deep sleep, and takes points for wake time. The first, short night reached a score of 36, which is very low - around half as much as they think I should be getting. This night, despite the longer time spent in bed (and without tossing the sensor aside...), the score reached a mere 43. This seems to confirm that, indeed, my sleep is a bit of a mess, and rather inefficient.

I woke up to the sound of the regular alarm clock, feeling ok - pretty typical. The energy level during the day was also quite typical. Interestingly enough I remember the alarm waking me up during a dream, but not a particularly vivid one. If the graph is to be trusted, I was in light sleep, a few minutes after REM, so perhaps I wasn't actually dreaming when the alarm went off - I only vaguely remembered the last dream. Details about the dream then vanished quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment